The City of Berne Building and Planning Department has jurisdiction over the Berne City limits and the fringe area.
What we do:
- Keep records on file of New Construction and Remodels.
- Oversee functions relating to Plan Commission and BZA functions.
- Keep and maintain current flood zone maps
- Issue Building permits for all new construction and remodel projects on both residential and commercial buildings.
- Issue electrical permits for any new electrical service or electrical upgrades.
- Inspect projects in all phases of construction to insure the State and Local Building codes are upheld and enforced.
- Issue Location permits for any new construction ensuring it is in compliance with zoning and flood map parameters.
- Make recommendations and implement actions to keep all ordinances and comprehensive plans current with State and Local Planning Laws and standards.
- Schedule and hold Public Hearings relative to the enforcement of said ordinances.Click City Zoning Codes and go to Title XV: Land Usage
Click Here for City Zoning Codes and go to Title XV: Land Usage
To shape the orderly development of Berne and its fringe area in order that adequate light, air, convenience of access, and safety from fire, flood, and other danger may be secured: that congestion in the public streets may be lessened or avoided; and that the public health, safety, comfort, morals, convenience and general welfare of the people may be promoted.
Shannon W. Smitley, Building and Planning Director
Office (260) 589-0081
Cell (260) 525-1187