Mayor William F. (Bill) McKean is serving his first term as the Mayor of the City of Berne having been elected in November of 2011. Mayor McKean served for 24 years on the Berne City Council beginning with his first term in 1983. He also served as council president for 16 of those years. Mayor McKean also served on the Berne Plan Commission for 27 years.
Mayor McKean has been the owner /operator of McKean’s Barber Shop since 1971 and as such, has been a sponsor of a minor league team in the Berne Little League (SA Youth League) for over 30 years. Mayor McKean has received numerous honors including South Adams Athletic Appreciation Award and the Governors’ Distinguished Hoosier Award.
The Mayor along with his wife Linda, are lifetime members of the Swiss Heritage Society and are members of and attend the First Mennonite Church. They are the parents of 3 children and 9 grandchildren.
Office Phone Number: (260) 589-0081
Cell Phone Number (260) 849-1243
Mailing address; City of Berne, 158 W. Franklin Street, Berne Indiana 46711
Duties as Mayor
As chief executive, the mayor is responsible for the overall operation of city government. The mayor's term of office is for four years with no restrictions on the number of terms which can be served. The mayor’s powers and duties include:
- Enforcing the ordinances of the city and the statutes of the state;
- Calling special meetings of the legislative body when necessary;
- Supervising subordinate officers;
- Filling vacancies in city offices when required;
- Signing all bonds, deeds, and contracts of the city and all licenses issued by the city;
- Approving or vetoing ordinances, orders, and resolutions of the legislative body;
- Appointing the heads of executive departments, employees of the departments, and most board and commission members;
- Adopting rules and regulations for individual departments;
- Preparing the city budget for council review;
- Serving as presiding officer of the council; and
- Solemnizing marriages.
Office Hours for Mayor McKean
Monday 8:00 am- 4:00 pm
Tuesday 11:15 am- 12:45 pm
Wednesday 8:00 am- 12:00 pm
Thursday 12:30 pm-4:00 pm
Friday 11:15 am-12:45 pm
The Mayor’s office will be staffed Monday-Friday 8:00 am-4:30 pm to assist you in scheduling an appointment with the mayor, or to address any immediate questions or concerns that you wish the mayor to be made aware of. You are encouraged to call the mayor’s office at 589-0081 for assistance.