top of page

Storm Water Department

storm water.jpg



The City of Berne Common Council established the Department of Storm Water Management in 2003 according to Indiana Code 8.1.5-5-6 for the collection and disposal of storm water within the corporate limits of the City of Berne.

The Department is responsible for the management of the City of Berne Storm Water collection system and funds water management projects by charging user fees as adopted by the Common Council on July 24, 2006.



As required by 327 IAC 5-2.1-6(1) (Combined Sewer Overflow Public Notification Rule), the City of Berne offers local media sources, affected public and other interested persons in and around the City of Berne area to provide information concerning frequency of overflow events that may be triggered by precipitation.

Any entity or individual desiring such information is requested to contact the Mayor’s office at (260) 589-8526 , or, in writing, to the Berne City Hall, 158 West Franklin Street, Berne Indiana 46711

Issued: March 5, 2018.




  • What is a Storm Water fee?
    ‍A storm water utility fee is similar to a water or sewer fee. Customers pay a fee to drain storm water from their properties. The City of Berne’s storm water user fee is primarily the result of new environmental regulations (United States Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) and the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) on storm water discharges.

  • Who else is paying a Storm Water utility fee?
    ‍Every property owner in the City of Berne’s Corporate Limits are responsible for paying a storm water utility fee including County, State and Federal government parcels and public institutions, along with commercial and industrial parcel owners.

  • ‍Are there properties in the Corporate Limits that do not have to pay the fee?
    ‍Yes. State roads are exempt since they are governed by a separate NPDES MS4 permit issued by IDEM to the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT). City roads are considered to be part of the storm water management system along with city owned pipes, ditches and swales that convey storm water to waters of the State. The City is required to monitor, identify problems and improve outfalls that are part of the storm water management system if necessary.

  • ‍Does the Post Office pay a Storm Water fee?

  • ‍Does the City pay Storm Water fees on City owned properties?

  • ‍My storm water does not go in to the city collection system, why do I have to pay a Storm Water fee? Alternatively, everyone else’s Storm Water runoff impacts my property – why do I have to pay the Storm Water fee?
    ‍Water quality affects all residents in the City of Berne and therefore, all property owners must pay their fair share of the costs to keep the rivers, creeks and streams clean and address drainage problems.

  • ‍What is considered to be an impervious surface?
    ‍An impervious surface is any surface that prevents water from penetrating the ground. Examples include buildings, driveways, parking lots, swimming pools, patios, paved areas, gravel areas, tanks, pads and other features that do not allow rainfall to soak into the ground.

  • ‍Who do I talk to if I want to dispute my bill or impervious area?
    ‍Appeals of storm water utility bills are handled by the Storm Water Utility Board. You are welcome to call Shannon Smitley at the City Building to discuss your bill and the basis for the amount. If you desire to appeal your fee, please have the most current information regarding your parcel available.

  • ‍How can I help the city water collection system to function better?
    ‍Do not blow grass clippings into the street which then goes into our catch basins. Keep leaves and other debris off of the curb and off the catch basin.

bottom of page